Sunday, April 02, 2006

"What happens when the unstoppable force meets the immovable object?"

Grant Morrison is a genius.

I don't know how he does it. I don't know what drugs he takes, but he has written some tremendous Superman stories in All-Star Superman.

This month, Superman gives Lois Lane a liquified version of his superpowers so that when she drinks it, she'll have his powers for a day. It is so Silver Age and I bet that Julius Schwartz must be smiling from his cloud in Heaven. Lois and Superman bump into Samson and Atlas (characters I'm not sure even exists in current DC continuity, or hell, any other continuity) who try to woo Lois and challenge Superman to a set of trials to see who's the man most worthy. I'm not going to spoil it, but let's say it's kind of obvious who that man is.

But my Lord, it is such a beautiful comic. I was absolutely blown away by Morrison's writing and Frank Quitely's wonderful art. This isn't much of a review, admittedly, but I am still in awe of the realization that this could be Morrison's greatest work yet.

I really wish I could write like Morrison, or Alan Moore. Those guys just come up with some insane ideas and make it work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home